Summer is here! Woooohoo. That means lots of cooking on the grill! My husband loves cooking on the grill, there’s such a variety of things you can make and it’s just an awesome time because your outside enjoying the weather, food, friends and family!
One of my favorite tips to keeping you lean is only having half a bun or using lettuce as a bun. You really don’t need a whole bun, it’s just empty carbs that you use on something else, use just half, go bunless or use a big piece of lettuce as a makeshift bun. Some other options as buns are fried eggs, portobello mushrooms, homemade sweet potato buns! YUM. Sooo many options.
Protein, protein, protein
Here is a list of some of my favorite items to cook on the grill that are healthy and fatloss friendly!
- Steak! Yes, steak it won’t kill you, choose a nice lean piece cook to desired temp and then enjoy. My favorite steak is a rib eye, even though it does have some fat on it, studies have shown that eating fat is satiating and in some people will keep them full and curb cravings.
- Chicken breasts, drumsticks, legs, let them sit in your favorite marinade/rub overnight then cook. My husband makes his own marinades with basically whatever is in the fridge. He uses things like vinegar, siracha, soy sauce, bbq sauce, whatever is around! It always comes out tasty.
- Beer can chicken – Use a whole chicken, place beer can in the opening of chicken, stand the chicken on the grill and let cook for time suggested on chicken. The beer will give the chicken moisture and flavor.
- Turkey burgers or hamburgers – season with some wasabi, soy sauce and blue cheese then cook up. This recipe is amazing!
- Fish – You can use any fish you like, put fresh lemon, salt and pepper then grill.
- Grilled portobello mushrooms – put some EVOO, salt and pepper then grill. Put 2 slices of bacon, lettuce, and tomato in between 2 mushrooms and use the mushroom as a bun.
- Whole grain homemade pizza, roll out your dough, grill for about 1 minute each side, then top with your favorite ingredients and then grill for a couple more minutes! This is a crowd pleasing app!!!
- Chicken, beef, pork and veggie skewers.
Side dishes and veggies!
For side dishes and veggies there are just so many things, I will just list some of my favorites and if you have one you would like me to post please comment below, I will add it to my list.
- Grilled asparagus
- Grilled green beans (make a pouch out of foil, put EVOO, salt and pepper then grill till done)
- Corn on the cob
- Grilled sweet potatoes
- Salad with any veggies you like. There are ENDLESS possibilities here!
- Tomato, mozzarella & basil salad, chop everything and place in bowl, drizzle with EVOO, salt and pepper.
- Pasta salad, using either whole grain noodles or use zoodles which are homemade noodles out of zucchini.
- Fresh fruit salad
More tips to not gaining too much weight while BBQ’ing
- Try to not mix your starchy carbs with alcohol. If you do eat them try to keep it to a 5 bite max.
- When it comes to dessert take a couple bites and be done with it. You don’t want to feel terrible after you eat. All the sugar will cause blood sugar to drop then you will need a nap.
- Engage in games, play cornhole, horse shoes, ladderball, swim, chase kids around the yard. MOVE!
- Have fun, seriously if you live in MA you know we live for summer so enjoy it and don’t stress. Stress causes you to store fat.
Happy BBQing! xoxo